Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Changes Brewing
A friend asked me to comment on "how you're feeling re potential return to work. I know it would probably have me all stirred up, and wondered where your head's at about it. Trepidation? Resignation? Anticipation? Some mixture of these?"

Definitely mixed feelings. I worked for a large insurance company for 31 years, started as a clerk in claims and ended as an officer in marketing. I mostly enjoyed it -- the variety, the opportunities to learn, the friends I made and, of course, the income-- but it ended poorly over two years ago. The situation had become so toxic that it affected my physical and emotional health. Then three days before the company was acquired and a hiring and firing freeze was enacted, I was "terminated without cause."

Thanks to faith, family and friends, I entered a new and renewing season of my life. Being a full-time mother (what mother isn't?) to two teenagers can be stressful, but it is a healthy stress which a sense of humor helps put into perspective. I've had time to volunteer (results of one effort) at church. I took Master Gardening classes and have volunteered for the horticulture educator of NE Indiana. I've done several consulting jobs to keep my marketing skills honed. I've accepted several speaking engagements. I took piano lessons for the first time in my life. I expanded my garden and tackled some large landscaping projects. I've done work on the house. I was a charter member in one book club and then helped start another book club at church. I'm a regular at "Mothers In Touch" and attend a morning Bible Study. And I've had time to have lunch or coffee with friends. My life is rich.

Then one day my husband and I were discussing the problems with the boys' HMO doctor and our desire to get them on another policy. This led to talk about return to work. Steve is a full-time student and works at the Writing Center, so I resisted the idea of him cutting back on his school hours to work while I stayed at home. We left it at that, though, and took no action. Two days later, a former co-worker called about a job opening at a local non-profit on whose board she sits. I've had two interviews and will probably hear about it this week. It would use my marketing skills for a worthwhile cause and they even suggested that the job could be part-time (with benefits). I'm skeptical that the job could be done on a part-time basis, but I love the idea.

So I am left with mixed feelings. If it happens, we will adjust and I will enjoy the work. If it doesn't happen, we will try to get the HMO doctor changed or perhaps I can pursue similar jobs with other non-profits. Since this process started, I've seen two similar jobs in the paper.

My biggest concern is that this opportunity comes at the spring of the year. I will miss having the summer with the boys and I will miss the time in my flower beds.

No comments: