Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Gardening Fools
Phone Message: Help! I found a list my husband made: clean asparagus patch, clear out creek bank, clean iris beds at church.

This message was left by the wife of one of my favorite gardening buds at church, who also happens to be a spiritual giant and a stubborn man. Unfortunately, his hip problems restrict his activities, which means he can't do the heavy gardening on his To-Do list. So I told her that I would clean up the beds on Tuesday after Bible Study. One problem solved..or so we thought.

He saw me in the garden, went home and changed into his gardening clothes, and knelt down on the ground with a groan as he started grubbing the old leaves out. Of course, he rejected any suggestions that he supervise and I labor. So I worked like a maniac trying to finish fast so he would stop working.

The beds look nice. And I plan to be in the garden at his age.

No comments: