Thursday, February 09, 2006

Food! Glorious Food!

Every week, it seems, I hear of a friend's success with The South Beach Diet. Weight loss. Cholesterol improvements. World Peace. Since I've carried my excess middle-age weight for far too long and I have a son who has steadily gained weight since 7th grade, I had to check it out. The plan seemed reasonable, so a week ago I started on the two-week restrictive phase one and Ron, as a teenager with a need for dairy and fruit, started on phase two.

This post is about food, not the lack of food. My whole family has raved about the meals I've prepared this last week. Some of our favorites are Grilled Salmon with Rosemary, Orange Roughy in Scallion and Ginger Sauce (which tonight I put on chicken breasts), Savory Chicken Saute, Roasted Eggplant and Peppers, Dilled Shrimp Salad, Spinach Frittata with Tomato Salsa, and Vegetable Quiche Cups To Go. Steve and I liked the Gazpacho, but the boys didn't. The boys liked the Surprise Mashed "Potatoes" (cauliflower) but Steve and I didn't. The flavored Ricotta Cremes are marginal. These recipes are all from the book.

I've spent more time in the kitchen (planning, cooking, cleaning-up) and the grocery bill has jumped a bit, but don't these meals sound delicious? And here's the bottom line:
Mom - five pounds
Ron - ten pounds
And it even took Ron a few days to figure out he shouldn't buy a corn dog or nachos and cheese at school. He also attended a Super Bowl party, but he took some string cheese as a snack and only had one piece of pizza.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SO thrilled for y'al! I think thats one of the best kept secrets about losing weight ... most "real" food thats good for you tastes really good.

And you know you've turned the corner into HappyDietLand when you start craving green veggies instead of sugar!

Anonymous said...

Mmm yum! Sounds healthy and tasty. Doesn't get better than that when it works too!

Anonymous said...

Glad this is working for you! I love that cauliflower but I never really liked mashed potatoes so maybe that's why.

Hang in there!