Monday, December 16, 2002

Books
One of my pleasures is reading and now I have time to be part of a book club. Here's our 2003 reading list:
Fiction: Son of the Circus by John Irving, Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie, Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani, Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier, and The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Non-fiction:Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser, Revenge: A Story of Hope by Laura Blumenfeld, Dragons of Eden by Carl Sagan, Into the Buzzsaw: Leading Journalists Expose the Myth of a Free Press by Kristina Borjesson, Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America by Barbara Ehrenreich, and The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren.

Birthday
Today is my birthday. Ron gave me my present within five minutes of waking up. Actually, he gave me the present he bought me for Christmas. It was a sweet surprise. The boys sang to me on the way to school. I tried to convince them that I did not need a birthday cake because there are too many sweets in the house now with my rabid baking binge, but I suspect this father-son baking tradition is as much for their pleasure as to honor me.

No comments: