Sunday, June 20, 2004

Teen Ambiance
It has been my goal to decorate the boys' rooms before they go to college, but my attempts have been foiled by their ideas of what their bedrooms should look like. I have given them freedom in their rooms, but I shudder at the thought of anyone going in there. Was this how my Mom felt when I was an early teen trying to "find" myself? I decorated my room in black and white. She let me paint the furniture black and make some really cool/spooky b&w jungle curtains, but she wouldn't let me paint the walls black. Of course, I wrote dark poetry in this setting. Lest I give you the wrong idea, I was also a majorette (what a strange word but better than twirler) and national champion of vegetable judging.

Back to the boys. A few simple purchases - curtains, rugs and accessories - transformed their rooms into male bastions instead of kiddy land. We still have to move in the bookshelves (from Great Grandma's estate) and chairs (that they rescued from my garage sale stash), but that will have to wait until we get back from vacation.

No comments: