Friday, July 15, 2005

Up in a Swing

Through a link from Ocean, I found a poetry site and the poem of the day is one that my siblings and all of our children and grandchildren recite as they swing. It still evokes the thrill of swinging in the huge swing that Dad built us when I was child. I suspect Mom was appalled by the eyesore, but she never let us know since we took so much pleasure from the swing.


The Swing


How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,
River and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside--

Till I look down on the garden green,
Down on the roof so brown--
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down!

Robert Louis Stevenson

No comments: