Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Does anyone want an update on garlic mustard?
It is in full bloom and will soon go to seed. This weed propagates fast. Only a small portion of the woods is not weeded yet. I can knock that out in two hours in the morning. When I wandered through the "clean" areas, however, instead of finding a luxuriant two-foot plant, I found scrawny 2-inch plants hiding their blooms under other foliage. These suckers are intent on setting seed. Can I out-stubborn them?

Due to how fast the mustard was growing, I had to stop clearing the brambles as I weeded. So now I have scratches all over my arms and legs where I've plunged into the midst of raspberry, wild rose and gooseberry brambles to dig up the mustard. One son told me it was a losing battle, but I put him to work anyway.

No comments: