Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Spring is here, declares Earth Girl

Five sandhill cranes flew low over our house a few days ago. The spring peepers are serenading us at night. I've started my annual attack on garlic mustard in the woods. The red-winged blackbirds are calling for mates. Ducks and geese are checking out the pond as a potential nursery. My crocus are finally in bloom. The dogwood buds are getting fatter. One son is at a home opener for the Detroit Tigers and the other son is at Vero Beach, Florida. And I start work in the gardens at Gene Stratton-Porter State Historic Site in a few hours.

Spring is here.

1 comment:

JLH said...

Lucky to see cranes. Canada geese go over my house, and down by the river you sometimes see a great blue heron, but no cranes. Here in the western North Carolina mountains we are in high daffodil and cherry bloom season, where one day it's gusty and almost snowy, and the next day can be 70 degrees in the afternoon.