Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Fall Garden

Fall Garden
It's been a while since I've written about my garden, because it's been a while since I've spent any time in it. I do miss it. It grounds me. This is true even though the pun is weak.

A month ago I wrote about the mid-summer doldrums in the garden. I solved some of the problem by filling clay pots with yellow, purple and white end-of-season, drastically-reduced-in-price annuals and strategically placed the pots in the bare spots. I also aggressively cut back many of the perennials. The pots are now lush with growth and the perennials sprouted fresh foliage.

The Autumn Joy, having provided structure in the earlier garden, is flush with dusty pink flowers. These are complemented by the simple dusty pink rays of mums with their yellow centers. The yellow is picked up by the Stella D'Oro daylilies amd moonbeam coreopsis putting on their final display. The last roses of summer are blooming, pink and cream, with a spicy fragrance. The toad lilies are still blooming although slightly past their peak. A few yellow rudbeckia and white cleomes have decided to continue their blooming. This is crowned by the sway of the blooming grasses. In a few weeks, this display will change as the foliage changes and seed pods add interest.

This has been a strange year, weather-wise and otherwise, so I'm not too surprised to see late spring plants blooming now - especially my foxglove and forget-me-nots.

No comments: