Thursday, December 16, 2004

Birthday

Happy Birthday to Me
And it has been a happy birthday so far. Mom surprised me at Tuesday morning's Bible Study by bringing in these unusual rolls which I remember her making fresh on Christmas mornings. I remember because we could open our stockings before breakfast, but we had to eat before opening the rest of the gifts.

Crispy Cookie Coffeecake
1 pkg. yeast
1/4 cup water
4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup butter
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk, scalded
1 T. cinnamon
In small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In large bowl sift flour, salt, lemon rind and 1/4 cup sugar. Cut in butter. Combine eggs, milk, yeast and add. Combine lightly. Refrigerate overnight. Divide dough in half. Roll each piece 18" by 12:. Sprinkle with remaining sugar mixed with cinnamon. Roll up tightly. Cut in 1 inch slices. Place cut side up on greased baking sheet and flatten with palm of hand. Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes. Ice. (Mom pipes on icing in a lattice pattern by putting all the rolls next to each other and making large thin lines of icing across all rolls.)


My family is getting me scrapbook supplies, which I bought on sale and assuaged by guilt for spending so much by giving them to my husband to give to me. He also gave me a bottle of Baileys, a real treat on cold winter nights in front of the fire. I had a long birthday conversation this morning with my girlfriend and another sent me a funny ecard. There will be 15 members of my family at the Christmas band and choir concert tonight so I will enjoy my evening. And I'm spending the day baking Christmas cookies.

This is not quite the celebration that would have pleased me 30 years ago, but I've become wiser with the years.

No comments: