Thursday, May 26, 2005

Disaster is new family favorite

Disaster or Triumph?
My experiment with hamburger didn't work, so when I called the menfolks to eat, I announced that dinner was a disaster. I'm confident enough in my cooking that failed experiments don't faze me. If there are no failures, you are not pushing the creative envelope. They loved the failure, giving it a 9.9 out of 10.

What did I do? I think hamburgers are boring but the boys like them, so I added honey teriyaki marinade, finely chopped bread crumbs, and an egg. I molded the patty around one side and the edges of a thick slice of Vidalia onion, leaving the other side of the onion open and then plopped them on the grill. It was too wet or I tried to turn them too soon but the patties fell apart and I served chunks of tasty meatloaf burgers.

So I've been asked to fix them again. Next time, I will use the enclosed grill so I don't have to disturb the burgers and I'm going to cook it over a campfire made with apple wood.

No comments: