Monday, August 09, 2004

Mom's coming home...for good! She finally sold her home in Arkansas and will be moving back to be near her five children and their spouses, fifteen grandchildren (including spouses) and six great-grandchildren. I will be so happy to have her near me. It will be a hard transition since she moved away about 20 years ago and she has to establish herself again. Her social life was very active in Arkansas, so now she has to find a new church home, a bridge club, a painting group, a Red Hat Society and other activities that she enjoys. I'm heading out later this week to help her start with the packing. Since she is moving from a home with LOTS of storage to an apartment, deciding what to keep, what to give away, what to throw away and what to store will be emotionally wrenching for both of us. My goal, though, is to make this move as easy as possible for her. My sister will be going down later to continue the process and I hope to be able to squeeze in another trip before the final move, if I can work it into the school schedule of husband and sons.

Here's our criteria for the move: "Do not keep anything in your home that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris

This sounds great, but it ignores the impractical and less than beautiful sentimental items.

No comments: