Monday, August 30, 2004

Recipe - Onion and Cheese Pie

Recipe - Onion and Cheese Pie
My menfolk don't love onions the way I do, so I took the opportunity to make an old favorite when hosting my Women's Group last Friday. Lots of rave reviews, so I thought you may enjoy this recipe.

10" unbaked pastry crust
10 oz. cheese - half Swiss and half Gruyere or however desired.
2 T flour
2 large onions, sliced
4 T butter
1 tsp. chopped basil
2 large firm tomatoes, sliced
2 large eggs
3/4 cup cream

Melt butter in skillet. Add sliced onions and saute for about half an hour.

Toss grated cheese with flour and spread 1/3 of cheese on bottom of pie. Spread onions over cheese.

In the butter that is left in the pan, heat the tomato slices with the chopped basil for a minute or two. Arrange tomatoes over the onions and cover with remaining cheese.

Beat eggs with cream. Pour over cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until top browns.

Cool slightly but serve warm.

Variations that work: Sprinkle top with shredded Parmesan Cheese. Saute chunks of red pepper after onions and before tomatoes. I sliced the tomatoes very thick since they weren't firm.

Variation that didn't work: mushrooms - they tasted good but made the pie much too runny (or maybe it was the juicy tomatoes from my garden). Next time I may saute in separate pan and not add the mushroom juice to the pie or perhaps I will use more flour for extra thickening.

No comments: