Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Food Bank

Spirit of Christmas
Our church has a food bank. In this rapidly growing area of middle to upper middle class homes, there are still people struggling to feed themselves and their families. As often is the case, these people tend to be invisible in the community, but we see them twice a month at the food bank.

I was called because they needed extra help on Tuesday before Christmas since they were giving food for a complete Christmas turkey dinner. So I woke my two healthy teen boys early, despite their protests, to work the food bank at church. They were good workers, carting the bags out to the cars, interacting with the people, helping create a fun atmosphere. But they were totally shocked to discover that the families of two of their classmates came to get food from our church. "But that boy lives in such a nice home," one son commented. I explained that the father left and the now single mother was struggling to feed the family and I made them swear (figuratively) to keep information about who comes to the food bank confidential.

This event faded as we prepared for Christmas and then enjoyed three days of celebration with our family.

After Christmas, when Ron asked me to take him shopping so he could spend his Christmas money, I asked him where he wanted to go and what he was going to buy.

"My first stop will be the grocery store to buy groceries for the food bank."

That sure warmed this mother's heart.

No comments: